What is NLP, and How Can It Help You?
The question “what is NLP?” has been asked so many times. Therefore, I hope this brief explanation of NLP will help. Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP) has been developing since the 1970s and is constantly evolving and growing through new research. Therefore, NLP is a powerful source of information on how the human mind works.
What does NLP actually mean?
N= NEURO: – this is your thinking process; it is how you use your senses of seeing, hearing, smelling, tasting and feeling to process the information around you. This is basically your nervous system, and it’s where all your thoughts, feelings, and the state of your body resides.
L= LINGUISTIC: – this is the words you use; it is how you use language to communicate and how it influences you and those around you. Generally, there are three main categories we fall into.
- AK. VISUAL: These people usually use “seeing” words, e.g. observe, watch, viewpoint, hazy, clear, imagine, visualize. (The use of these words gain notice)
- AUDITORY: Like using “hearing” words, e.g. heed, listen, enlighten, call, discuss, question. (Words that obtain other people’s notice)
- KINAESTHETIC: These people use “feeling” words, e.g. experience, touch, pat, warm, cols, fear, comfortable. (Words that seize attention)
P= PROGRAMMING: This is how you organize and code the information, ideas and actions. This is your behaviour patterns and emotions that bring about the desired result.
The fundamental idea of NLP is that the words we use often reflect our inner, subconscious perception of our world, our problems and ourselves. Therefore, if any of these words and perceptions are inaccurate, and we continue to think of them and use them, the underlying issues will remain.
As a result, our attitudes become self-fulfilling prophecies, and we seem only to attract things that would agree with what we perceive or believe.
At the core of NLP is a wide range of techniques and models that explain how people think, behave and change. The NLP approach is flexible and accommodating and can yield positive change within an individual in a short amount of time. Coaching empowers people to adapt to the constant ebb and flow of change within themselves.
Coaching is a powerful tool that will enable individuals to understand why they do what they do and how their feelings and behaviours can make sense based on their everyday lives and the world around them.
NLP is a coaching method with powerful techniques that can assist individuals in making quick and lasting changes to their behaviour. Moreover, it is used worldwide in business, during therapy, personal growth seminars and coaching groups.
It is a potent tool that helps therapists change the impact of the past on a client, increases the teachers capacity to teach, improves the student’s math skills, increases a businessman’s non-verbal rapport assisting them in running more efficient meetings, enhances an athlete’s concentration and much more.
You can develop an understanding of language skills to assist you in achieving your goals and fulfil your true potential.
So, how can NLP help me?
Using NLP coaching can help you uncover and dissolve hidden barriers that keep you from achieving your desired goals. NLP is a model of how the mind works, and this information helps people make big significant changes in a fairly short amount of time.
As a result, It can help you change your thinking’s ingrained patterns, thus helping to change unresourceful behaviours.
Below are some areas where NLP Coaching can be of benefit:
- Wanting to excel but feeling stuck – Increase or help with Motivation.
- Boosting your Confidence – Self-esteem.
- Making Informed choices – Stop Smoking.
- Increase your Focus – Weight loss.
- Eliminate Fear – Phobias.
- Reduce Anxiety – Help in Achieving Goals.
- Depression – Fear of Public Speaking.
- Decrease Tension – Release Stress.
- Discover your true potential – Become aligned with your Core Values.